Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Mom's first British haircut

Got this email from Mom:

"My roots were finally getting gray enough that I had to find somebody to take care of my hair. I'd researched some online, looked around as I was walking, and tried to get a recommendation or two (which was to no avail) and so I finally decided on Toni and Guy on Kensington Church Street. I'd passed by it so many times from Abbey House to the tube stop that it felt kind of familiar.

Maybe things are a bit more "posh" in SLC than what I've experienced in Sandy, but this was a whole new experience. First, you pick someone to color your hair, someone different to cut your hair, and then someone different to style and finish your hair if you want. Then you pick between three different levels of experience with each costing more as you move up. When I went in to "book" I just told them to refer somebody. (Oh, plus there are 3 different degrees of root coverage depending on how much of your head you want done.) So I ended up with Serina, the lowest rung, doing my color and Laurie, the second rung doing my cut. No need for a "style."

First Serina came to talk to me about what I wanted. She thought my highlights contrasted with the regular color of my hair way too much and suggested a "toner". That is a semi-permanent colour - did I want red? or just the same gold I'm using - that would mellow out what was already there. Extra 15 pounds. (colour was 48 pounds and cut was 55 pounds. yikes) I said ok fine. So Serena colors my hair, wonders if I want tea etc. Then she brings this giant machine over and puts it around my head. She called it a heat machine. It had funny little warming discs that just radiate heat in about 4 places about 6 inches from your head. It's like you are in the oven. Then she walks me over to the shampoo station. Oh, another reason I picked Toni and Guy was because they don't put you all in the front window for everybody to look at as they go by. So, this cute new girl comes and puts me in the chair to wash, condition, apply toner, do the head massage and stuff. Suddenly I feel this rumblings underneath me and its a massage chair. I'll bet I was in the chair for 30 minutes. It was terrific.

Then out comes Laurie. (pronounced Lori) He looks to be about 18. He has what looks like a Paul Gaugin painting up the side of one of his arms. (All of the guys in there had their jeans about mid-buttocks) He was very sweet, easy to talk to. We talked about how weird it is that in the US we have "bangs" and in the Uk they have "fringe." Laurie did a great job; a little more precision than usual. He was very careful. He then blew me dry. Serina came back to ask how I liked the color. They got me my coat, I gave the front desk a bunch of cash including tips, made my - woops booked my appt. in advance which gives me a 10% discount. I figure I'm dropping at least $200 everytime except when I finally get new highlights which will cost another 50 pounds or so. The toner did it's job and my highlights are much more subtle, which Serina informed is really what "highlights" are all about.

So, I'm happy with what they did. The trauma of deciding where to go is over. I'll stick with Serina and Laurie and start saving up for next time."

I know. I was expecting a picture as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment